Welcome to the Shapinsay Church of Scotland website!
Welcome to the Shapinsay Kirk Website. Here you will find out information about the Kirk, its history, the work we do within the community and how to get involved.
We are going to mark Holy Week leading up to Easter with special ecumenical services with the Kirkwall Council of Churches, details of which can be found opposite. All the Holy Week videos will be posted on the KCC Orkney Facebook channel here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxdd1PMrNi3TvHcIhqmnnkg as well as on the Kirkwall Council of Churches Facebook page.
On Maundy Thursday Shapinsay, Kirkwall East, and Moncur Memorial Church Stronsay will hold a Zoom Maundy Thursday service at 7 pm. We will celebrate the sacrament of communion so please do have a sip of juice, wine or port and a piece of bread prepared beforehand. For details of how to join contact the minister firstname.lastname@example.org.
We hope you can mark Holy Week with us one way or another.
We are currently not open for in-person worship due to the pandemic, but you can either come for private prayer on the first, third and fifth Sunday of every month between 3 and 4 pm or access our services in any one of four ways:
Þ Through Kirkwall East linked with Shapinsay Facebook page where our joint services (between Kirkwall East, Shapinsay and Moncur Memorial Church Stronsay) are published every Sunday: https://www.facebook.com/kirkwalleastlinkedwithshapinsay
Þ Through the YouTube channel:
Or search for Kirkwall East Church, Shapinsay Church or Moncur Memorial Church.
Þ By dialling 01856 404667 from your phone and listening to the audio recording of the service. You will be charged as you would normally be for a local phone call (and that of course depends on your contract).
Þ By getting a script of the service by e-mail (do contact the minister if you would like that).
We currently have arrangements in place of opening our church for private prayer only on the first, third and fifth Sunday of every month. We will try to re-start other services as soon as it is safe and practical to do so. When our church is open, we would respectfully ask everyone to act responsibly and safely at
all times. This means ensuring:
that you are not exhibiting any Covid19 symptoms
that you have not been in contact with anyone who has recently tested positive for the virus (and you should therefore be self isolating!)
that you are not putting yourself at risk if you have any underlying health conditions or general frailty.
We are constantly reviewing the situation, taking on board the latest Scottish Government advice as well as advice from the Church of Scotland and our own Presbytery.
CHURCH OPENINGS FOR PRIVATE PRAYER ONLY
every first, third and fifth Sunday of the month 3:00 pm – 4:00 pm
WHAT TO EXPECT WHEN YOU COME TO CHURCH:
- The wearing of face masks in church is now mandatory. Please bring your own masks with you when visiting church.
- You will be required to sanitise your hands as you enter and exit church. Hand sanitisers will be available.
- Please enter via the side door ONLY and exit via the main entrance door. Stewards will take your contact details for track and trace purposes and signs will direct you down the corridor and into the designated seats. When leaving church please exit via the main door and follow the signs. Please give way to others who may be exiting at the same time. There will be 9 people allowed in at any one time for a maximum of 15 minutes.
- Seating areas will be clearly marked to ensure the required social distancing. Family members living in the same household may, of course, sit together. All children should be accompanied by an adult.
- All hymnbooks and Bibles will be removed so please bring your own for your perusal.