Welcome to the Shapinsay Church of Scotland website!
Welcome to the Shapinsay Kirk Website. Here you will find out information about the Kirk, its history, the work we do within the community and how to get involved.
As you will know, we are still limited to a maximum of 22 in our church for any acts of public worship so from the 20th September we will begin with arrangements of opening our church for private prayer only on the first and third Sunday of every month. We will try to re-start other services as soon as it is safe and practical to do so. When our church is open, we would respectfully ask everyone to act responsibly and safely at
all times. This means ensuring:
that you are not exhibiting any Covid19 symptoms
that you have not been in contact with anyone who has recently tested positive for the virus (and you should therefore be self isolating!)
that you are not putting yourself at risk if you have any underlying health conditions or general frailty.
We are constantly reviewing the situation, taking on board the latest Scottish Government advice as well as advice from the Church of Scotland and our own Presbytery.
CHURCH OPENINGS FOR PRIVATE PRAYER ONLY
every first and third Sunday of the month 3:00 pm – 4:00 pm
WHAT TO EXPECT WHEN YOU COME TO CHURCH:
- The wearing of face masks in church is now mandatory. Please bring your own masks with you when visiting church.
- You will be required to sanitise your hands as you enter and exit church. Hand sanitisers will be available.
- Please enter via the side door ONLY and exit via the main entrance door. Stewards will take your contact details for track and trace purposes and signs will direct you down the corridor and into the designated seats. When leaving church please exit via the main door and follow the signs. Please give way to others who may be exiting at the same time. There will be 9 people allowed in at any one time for a maximum of 15 minutes.
- Seating areas will be clearly marked to ensure the required social distancing. Family members living in the same household may, of course, sit together. All children should be accompanied by an adult.
- All hymnbooks and Bibles will be removed so please bring your own for your perusal.
Coronovirus Covid-19 Update
With effect from Wednesday 17 March 2020 worship services at Shapinsay Church have been moved to a virtual space until further notice – find us on our Facebook page: Kirkwall East linked with Shapinsay or YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7Yg_uFSQsU7UWDC2SSnyCA. Every week there is an e-service and e-Messy Church available there. You can also access the se-service by dialling 01856 404667 from your phone and listening to the audio recording of the service (you will be charged as you would normally be for a local phone call – and that of course depends on your contract) or by getting an e-mail with the script of the e-service. This is particularly important to those with hearing impairment so if you need such an e-mail, please let Julia know on 874789 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Everybody is welcome to join with us in worship, whoever you are and whatever you’re going through.